Saturday, February 4, 2017

Book of Days : Succulent Stacks

The next main art lesson from Book of Days is to create with layers of paper that aren't completely covered up with paint and other media. Started with a gathering of pretty papers
and then glued them down in a rather crazy patchwork - there's a LOT going on!
Feeling better once I've added some unifying paint - scraped on green gold and bronze metallics
Needed a focal and decided on this bird serviette over some french text - both new paper layers, or "stacks" if you will :-)
Decided I needed to add some more dark so used some peacock feather serviettes and blue paint with some new stencils - click on any photo to see the details
I'm worried it's too dark now!...and I need some words. Decided to use the stencil on a bright piece of map paper and added some smudgy definition to the 'stacks' with a stabilo pencil
Liking it better but it needs some lighter areas - brought out my white pen
I also used gold metallic pen around the letters and a bit on the bird. It's feeling better but I suddenly realised that what I needed was a bit more of a story with some found words. These words came from a large print book and I've had them waiting for the right project - they are another paper layer, add a bit more white to the page, as well as a bit of SHINE ♥ 
The idea of this lesson was to end up still being able to see layers of the lovely papers we used, and  I succeeded with that. I had a bit of a struggle with this at some stages, but I feel happy with the finished outcome.
See my Flickr album for all my art from classes with Effy HERESign up to Book of Days or other classes with Effy Wild HERE
She's got a FREE class called Succulent Stacks available HERE - it's really only the first layer with paper, but still inspiring.
Effy Wild will walk you through the process of creating a rich, complex, layered art journal spread that requires no drawing using stuff leftover on your painty table. You will also learn how to tip your finished spread into an already existing journal.
Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

1 comment:

  1. All those pattern are wonderful! Love how you played with the darks and lights - the white highlights were definitely a good addition! It's a real challenge for me to tone down backgrounds without covering them up too much. It's a balancing act!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...