Wednesday, May 20, 2015

More quilts on show

On Sunday, our quilt club ran a bus trip to the Kapiti Quilters exhibition. As always, it wasn't that I would love to produce all the quilts exactly as I photographed them, but that there were techniques/colours/ideas to fuel my next projects. This first quilt won Best Use Of Colour. It is stunning and I especially love the use of variegated fabrics to add even more interest to the applique. 
"Magnum Opus" by Margaret Jones.
Click on the photos to see them larger.
Here's a close up of this one :
Some of the more traditional amongst you might like this applique quilt
"Faded roses" by Sheryl Meech
Sheryl won ribbons for both Merit Domestic Quilting and Best Applique - Machine. Here's a couple of close-ups so you can better see her work
I looked at this next one for a while before I realised that it is made up of star blocks
"Dotty flowers" by Barbara Parker
Another simple block setting to make the most of a lovely fabric collection
"Arizona blooms" by Carol Pedersen
Clever couched rose detail on this red quilt
"Roses are red" by Robin Goring
This quilt won Best Domestic Quilting : 
"Wild flowers" by Bobby Duncan
Here's a better photo of her quilting
This small quilt won Best Contemporary Quilt :
"Sustainable development" by Sara Boland
I am keen to make some kind of abstract quilt in my future - this one reminds me that hand quilting as an element in strip piecing is lovely.
This abstract quilt series representing the 4 elements of life also caught my eye :
"Fire, Earth, Air and Water" by Sandra Killin
Great movement and lovely use of colour.
And finally there was a display of Jenny Hunter's work - she is a familiar name in NZ. 
It was great to see so many of her quilts together.
I {heart} fantails so would love to make my own version of this some day
And I love both the simplicity and the stunning use of colour in her harakeke and kowhai quilts
Which quilt is your favourite from this collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...