Tuesday, April 28, 2015

LB2015 : your help please!

This Life Book project was created by Jenny Wentworth. Another face, this time in a more painterly style she called expressive portrait. Pushing my boundaries again - I have never painted in this way before....
I can't quite cope with looking at just brown, cream and yellow so I add pretty turquoise clothing early on!
I quite like her face, but I think I rushed to do "what I know" for her facial features - eyes especially (I've only started drawing faces this year in Life Book Lessons). When I put her next to Jenny's sample (below right), mine doesn't look like the same style at all and I find myself feeling anxious/disappointed/stressed somehow about that...
Does she need more colour and texture, or does this mean I am developing my own style and should leave it there?  Should I watch the demo again and give the lesson a fresh try, or do I just not have this style in me?....
I'm leaving it at least overnight and would love to hear what you think.
You can see all my posts about Life Book HERE and I've created a Flickr album for all my completed Life Book projects HERE

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing that you were struggling with the exact same issues as I am now! This makes me feel soooo much better LOL! Funny thing is, when I did this lesson (which was my first LB year as well) I didn't get so uptight about not getting it right. It's almost like there's more pressure on me now in my third year - and frankly, I'm not sure I didn't do better in my first year, especially if you compare this to my latest portrait, which has the exact same elements (crown, hearts, writing on the background). Do you remember this? https://inkydinkydoodle.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/lifebook-catch-up-week-17-maiden.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting to compare with yourself eh? These are obviously some of your signatures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to the conclusion that it's better to do something I enjoy rather than trying to get the lesson "right" at all cost. The lessons should be a source of inspiration rather than frustration. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...