Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gifting Quilts

Our local quilt club, Rose City Quilters, is having its Celebration of Quilts exhibition at the Convention Centre here in Palmerston North over the weekend of 27-29 August. Members of the club (of which there are well over 100) will show quilts they have made over the last 2 years. The show is well worth a visit if you are in the area.
I will be showing some quilts (and share them here on my blog next week as well), but it got me thinking about the quilts that I have made in that period that have been given away as gifts. The following now live in different places in New Zealand.
This one I actually still own, but won't be showing. Completed in October 2008.I made this quilt to use as a sampler for trying out different free-motion quilting designs.
Quilt made for my nephew's 21st : March 2009
Small quilt made for a "Go Green" challenge for another exhibition April 2009 - this won a merit award and lives with my friend who is a dress designer. The fabrics mainly came from herQuilt made for my mother-in-law's 70th birthday. Class taught by Jacqui Karl at the Cloth Shop in May. Click here for a pic of me and Jacqui :-) Quilt completed in July, and gifted in December 2009 McKenna Ryan visited Palmerston North and gave a class about her applique methods at the Cloth Shop in November 2009. You can see me stitching in this Cloth Shop blog post. The block is mounted on canvas, and was given to my mother for her birthday in December 2009. I also made Xmas wallhangings, from a pattern by Adrienne Walker. Ths one now lives in Auckland. And this one in Feilding with my parents.
This year I have only completed these small quilts so far. They have been donated to the neonatal unit at the Palmerston North hospital, and started life as a quilt top in 1998! I was very pleased to have it repurposed into these.
I will blog later about the other arty things I completed over this same 2 year period that were not quilts. And next week I will share photos of the quilts I am showing at the exhibition.

3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of quilts and a lot of work, Lynette! I'm not a quilter but by crikeys I can appreciate your passion and your work ethic. You have been very busy! I hope to pop along to the exhibition to see everybody's creations. My hands down favourite among these splendid quilts is the Jacqui Karl quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynette, those quilts are all gorgeous! I aspire to be able to do free-motion well at least once in my lifetime! I really love the appliqued quilt you gave to your Mum... I bet she does too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done - a lot of work and to a high standard. You inspire us all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...